The Trent-Severn Waterway will open for navigation on Friday, May 28 at 9 a.m. with pandemic-related health and safety conditions in place.
The opening of the 386-kilometre waterway, which usually opens on the Victoria Day long weekend, had been delayed until at least June 2 – the end date of the extended provincial stay-at-home order.
All visitors (boaters and land-based) will be expected to adhere to conditions including:
- Lockage: Boaters are expected to be in full care and control of their vessels and to maintain two meters distance from staff and other boaters at all times during lockage. Mask use is mandatory within two metres of staff or visitors. Boaters requiring assistance with lockage must identify their concerns to lock staff prior to entering the chamber. Boaters must at all times follow instructions from lock staff.
- Masks mandatory: Mask use is mandatory for visitors in situations where they will be within two meters of Parks Canada team members or other visitors, including if they require assistance when locking through. Masks are also required for the use of washrooms at lock stations and during sales transactions.
- Maintain social distancing: Visitors must respect the safety of others by maintaining their distance from other visitors and Parks Canada team members. Please respect roped-off areas on lock walls that provide a safe working space for staff.
- No large gatherings: Gatherings that are not consistent with provincial COVID-19 restrictions are prohibited on Parks Canada lands along the Trent-Severn Waterway.
- Use cashless payment: For the purchase of permits, please use cashless payment whenever possible.
Repairs slow Peterborough lock
The Peterborough Lift Lock will be open on a modified basis as it undergoes repairs, Parks Canada officials stated. It’s expected to be in full operation by the end of June.
In order to transit as many vessels per day as possible, lockages will be scheduled, allowing for one complete transfer up and down per day. Boaters will be asked to disembark their vessels while the transfer is underway, officials stated.