This rustic way of cooking is simple but gives the meat an incredible flavour. Be sure to use clean wood, free of mould or decay, as this can affect the taste.
• 1 x 6 bone rack of venison
• ¼ cup Montreal Steak Spice
• 1 large shallot, minced
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
• ½ cup olive oil
• ½ tsp coarse black pepper
• 1 lemon, zest, and juice
1. Mix shallot, garlic, thyme, olive oil, black pepper, lemon zest, and juice in a bowl.
2. Place bone-in venison rack in a large zip-lock bag and pour marinade in. Shake well.
3. Let marinate in fridge overnight.
4. Prepare your fire pit. Establish a nice bed of hot glowing coals with some short flames.
5. Arrange grill so it’s approximately 8-10 inches above the coals.
6. Remove meat from marinade. Sprinkle with Montreal steak spice.
7. Grill meat over fire until desired doneness is achieved. Approx. 8-10 minutes on each side for medium rare (130-135˚F internal temperature if using a thermometer).
Originally published in the 2019-20 Ontario OUT of DOORS Hunting Annual.