Ask a CO: What is the minimum info an angler or hunter must legally provide a Conservation Officer?

by Editorial Staff | November 8, 2022
Outdoors card

Q: During an interaction with a Conservation Officer, what is the minimum info an angler or hunter must legally provide?

James Anderson, North Bay

A: Under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, any person who is the holder of a licence or authorization, or an outdoors card, must produce it upon the request of a conservation officer. In the case of anglers and hunters, they would legally be required to be carrying both their outdoors card (if applicable) and their licence or a document that is “deemed” a sport fishing licence, such as government identification that shows someone is over 65 years of age and a resident of Canada.

Aside from licences, an angler or hunter who is checked by a Conservation Officer is required to answer any questions that are relevant to the inspection, such as, how many fish has the person caught, and produce for inspection any fish, wildlife, firearms, ammunition or other thing that is relevant, for example, bait being used for fishing.

ANSWER BY: David Critchlow, Provincial Enforcement Specialist, MNRF

Send your questions by clicking here

Originally published in the Fall 2021 issue of Ontario OUT of DOORS magazine. Ask a CO is also a regular feature in the print edition.

Please check the most recent Ontario hunting and fishing regulations summaries, as rules and regulations can change.

For more instalments of Ask a CO, click here

Click here for more outdoors news

Sign up for our mailing list

indicates required
Email format