Ask A CO: What ID do I need while fishing?

by Editorial Staff | March 10, 2022
Outdoors Card sample
Photo from

Q: Do I have to carry my paper licence summary with me when I’m just fishing or is my Outdoors Card enough? Do I only need to carry my licence summary with me when hunting anything other than small game?

Toby Gilbert, Stayner

A: If you have a three-year fishing licence embossed on the back of your Outdoors Card, you do not need to carry a licence summary in addition to the card while fishing. The same is true if you have a valid one-year fishing licence embossed on the back; during the year that licence is valid, you do not have to carry a licence summary with you while fishing.
If you have a valid Outdoors Card with an expired fishing licence on the back, you would have to carry the card plus the new licence summary showing your valid fishing licence while fishing.

The same thing applies to hunting. If you have a valid small game licence embossed on the back of your Outdoors Card (either a one-year or a three-year licence) and you are hunting only small game that does not require a tag (i.e., you are not hunting wild turkey or wolf or coyote in the areas where a tag is required), then you only need to carry the Outdoors Card with the licence on the back. If you are hunting wild turkey, wolf, or coyote in an area where a tag is required, or big game (moose, deer, elk, or black bear), then you would have to carry your Outdoors Card and your licence summary.

ANSWER BY: David Critchlow,
Provincial Enforcement Specialist, NDMNRF

Your Outdoors Card is still your primary licence when fishing and hunting. If the specific licences printed on the back have expired, or you have new ones not shown, carry your Licence Summary as well.

Send your questions by clicking here.

Originally published in the 2021 Fishing Annual issue of Ontario OUT of DOORS magazine. Ask a CO is also a regular feature in the print edition.

Please check the most recent Ontario hunting and fishing regulations summaries, as rules and regulations can change.

For more instalments of Ask a CO, click here

Click here for more outdoors news

Sign up for our mailing list

indicates required
Email format


  1. Richard Lorne Johnson wrote: In regards to the new Bait Management Zones. I have a cottage in the southern part of BMZ 15 on Bass Lake. The closest 'Legal' commercial bait dealer for BMZ 15 is in Minden, ON which is a 1.5hr round trip. The issue is the boundary between BMX15 & 17 is Hwy 36 and Hwy 49. I would have to drive back from Minden on the west side of Hwy 49 and the south side of Hwy 36 which is in BMZ 17 and that would be transporting baitfish to another BMZ. This issue would affect thousands of anglers across Ontario. Also, will there be any amendment to the law when the commercial bait dealer is located directly on the division? It would make sense that they should be able to sell in either BMZ since they are literally 50yds apart. Half of their bait business would be in violation of the new rules if the above applies. Thanks
    • Jason Bain wrote: Thanks, Richard. You've highlighted a hot topic here. There's a bait store in Norland, in northern Kawartha Lakes, on the border of 17 and 15. Many others around the province. We don't have any answers for you, but OOD will keep on top of this and share any new information that becomes available.
  2. Thad Shelton wrote: I have a question for a co officer. While trolling on the Detroit River how many rods can one angler use?
  3. David Weingust wrote: I just got my Ontario Outdoors Card and Ontario Sport Fishing Licence at Canadian Tire. They gave me printed paper copies until my card comes in the mail. Can I just take a picture of it to carry with me in my phone or do I need the paper copy