Venison meatballs are a great appetizer with a sweet, tangy sauce done in a slow cooker, or a yummy addition to your favourite spaghetti sauce when seared.
Makes 10-12 meatballs
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with hands until ingredients are evenly mixed. Do not over work.
2. Oil hands and form meat into golf ball sized shapes.
3. They can be frozen and used for later use, or pan fried in oil and added to spaghetti sauce.
4. If you prefer a sweeter meatball, brown them in oil and add to a crockpot with your favourite barbecue sauce or honey garlic marinade.
Andrew Rochon is OOD’s food editor. You can follow more of his culinary adventures on Instagram: @wilderness_chef
Originally published in the Nov.-Dec. 2020 edition of Ontario OUT of DOORS magazine.