PAL now required for mag purchases

by Steve Galea | April 22, 2024
a gun magazine next to firearm

Canadian firearms owners are now required to present their Possession Acquisition Licence (PAL) when buying a cartridge magazine for their firearms. The regulatory changes were sent out in a letter to firearms businesses in early March, according to the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association (CSAAA).

The new requirements are as follows:

Subsection 25(1) states that “An individual may transfer cartridge magazine that is not deemed prohibited only if the transferee possesses a valid firearms licence.” 

Subsection 64 (1.2) states that “Following the expiration of a firearms licence, a licence holder may not acquire cartridge magazines during the extension period (six months) and may only acquire cartridge magazines once the licence is renewed.” 

For more on firearms, click here

Click here for more outdoors news

Sign up for our mailing list

indicates required
Email format


  1. Kevin Harriman wrote: Love the outdoors
  2. Gordon Wereley wrote: Who are the geniuses that dreamed up this latest stupid requirement of a PAL for legitimate hunters and sport shooting enthusiasts to buy a magazine for a rifle or handgun? Is that all our Liberal ministers have to do to earn their $299,300 yearly salary? What next? Perhaps a requirement to show a PAL in order to purchase a rifle scope or a rifle case or hand loading components. Time to turn their energies and dollars toward getting illegal firearms and criminals off the streets! I am already on the mailing list for the weekly CSSA newsletter. Good job guys!