When fishing line is left on shore or tossed in the water it’s not only unsightly, it can be dangerous to fish, waterfowl and other small water mammals. Having a fishing line depot can help keep the water and shoreline clean.
Want to take your conservation efforts a step further? Send collected fishing line to Berkley to recycle. Fishing line can’t be recycled through household blue bins.
Here’s how to build a simple fishing line depot.
- 4 inch diameter PCV piping (about 1 metre in length)
- PVC pipe cement (a type of glue)
- PVC elbow
- PVC 4 inch adapter
- Threaded plug (cap)
- Fasteners (suitable for outdoors)
You can get all of these materials at your local hardware store.
- Attach the elbow to one end of the 4 inch PVC pipe with the pipe cement.
- Attach the threaded adapter to the opposite end of the pipe.
- Thread plug (cap) onto adapter
- Attach the recycler to your chosen fixture at least 1 foot off the ground, using fasteners.