This recipe has been prepared at our hunt camp since before I was born, and will be made for many more years to come.
The inside of the steak should be nice and pink with a golden, breaded exterior. We use Ritz crackers, but feel free to use whatever crackers you have hiding in your hunt-camp pantry.
• Two 6-oz venison steaks (boneless, fat removed, approximately 1/4-inch thick)
• 1 cup flour
• 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
• 1/4 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Mix flour and Cajun seasoning.
3. Beat eggs and milk together.
4. Dredge venison steaks in flour mixture.
5. Dip floured venison into egg.
6. Coat venison steaks with cracker crumbs.
7. In an oven-safe pan, heat oil on medium high.
8. Sear steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side.
9. Transfer to oven for 3-10 minutes depending on desired doneness (3 for medium rare, 10 for well done).
Originally published in the Nov-Dec 2018 edition of Ontario OUT of DOORS magazine.