Ask a CO: Can you laminate game tags and licence summaries?

by Editorial Staff | October 20, 2020
waterproof licence holder

Q: I printed off game tags and licence summaries for my husband and me, and wondered if, because they are now paper printouts, I could laminate them? I went to Service Ontario and got two different responses.

Anita Watts, Peterborough

Plastic resealable bags recommended

A: We recommend using plastic resealable bags or plastic tag holders to protect paper licence summaries and tags. Licence summaries and tags may be laminated, provided the lamina­tion does not interfere with the person’s respon­sibility to ensure the product remains intact and legible (including the QR code) and does not inter­fere with the ability to invalidate the tag (i.e. notch­ing).

However, depending on the quality of the laminating machine, lamination does not always fully seal and once the tag is notched the lamina­tion is compromised, which could let dirt and/or water in.

David Critchlow (Provincial Enforcement Specialist, MNRF)

Send your questions by clicking here.

Originally published in the Fall 2019 issue of Ontario OUT of DOORS magazine. Ask a CO is also a regular feature in the print edition.

Please check the most recent Ontario hunting and fishing regulations summaries, as rules and regulations can change.

For more instalments of Ask a CO, click here

Sign up for our mailing list

indicates required
Email format


  1. Lou Gaspare wrote: I was always told that if the owner of the land posts it as “no hunting “ he himself (the owner) cannot legally hunt on the land either because it is posted no hunting. Thanks Would help clear up any more disagreements in camp.
    • Meghan Sutherland wrote: Lou, We actually covered this question in the August 2017 print version of the magazine. We've put it up on the website this week, please find it here:
  2. Wally wrote: Are non-natives and natives allowed to hunt together? where are the rules for this if any please. Thank you
    • Meghan Sutherland wrote: Wally, We've added this query to our Ask a CO compendium, where we seek out the informed response of a Conservation Officer. You can look for it in future issues of the magazine. Thanks for reaching out.
  3. Jeff Wilson wrote: I am an avid grouse hunter in Thunder Bay and have a question regarding the transport of these fine birds. As far as I am aware, the only upland birds living in the Thunder Bay area are ruffed grouse and spruce grouse. With their meat being easily identifiable in terms of colour (ruffies are a lighter meat and sprucies are much darker), is it still a requirement that we keep a wing on the meet during transport?
    • Meghan Sutherland wrote: Jeff, On page 20 of the 2020 MNRF Hunting Regulations Summary, it states, "The instructions provided with your tag will specify where you must attach the tag to the animal....IMPORTANT: If you are unsure about whether or not to attach your tag, you should attach it." It goes on to say, regarding shipping, "Unless accompanied by the hunter or trapper who lawfully harvested the animal, receptacles containing game wildlife or specially protected wildlife that are being shipped or transported to points inside or outside Ontario must have the names and addresses of the sender and receiver, and a list of the contents, written on the outside." You can find the full PDF available for download here:
  4. Brian Dayman Brocton Ont wrote: In Ontario, once you reach 65 years of age or are a Veteran or active Canadian Armed Forces Member you are not required to purchase a Fishing Licence to fish in Ontario. Do Non-Resident people fall into this catagory or due they have to purchase a Non-Resident Fishing Licence to fish in Ontario, because they are not Ontario residences. Looking forward to your response. Brian Dayman
    • Alesha Howran wrote: Most non-Canadian residents require an outdoors card and a fishing licence. The Recreational Fishing Regulation Summary describes this in detail on pages 6-9