Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat Loaf

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Meat Loaf

I just put a meat loaf into the oven - 1 lb ground pork - 2 lb deer meat - garlic - onion - salt - crushed tomatoes - cheese - oregano - paprika - Montreal steak spices - gonna make some mashed potatoes and gravity - a meal fit for a king - the deer meat really comes in handy - I make it all different ways and really enjoy it -

I got two doe licenses and a buck license for this coming season so I should be able to restock the freezer again - right now there are too many deer around here - need to cut down the herd somewhat - I would really be disappointed if CWD ever appeared here where I hunt and make me stop hunting

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I can smell it from here, looks like an outstanding supper.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Sounds great Joe, Good luck filling your three tags. I've driven though PA many times and was surprised at the amout of dear vehicle collisions.
    TS

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    I can smell it from here, looks like an outstanding supper.
    Oh - I also added oat meal - forgot to mention that -

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I was going to say "What , no bread crumbs ?" LoL ! Oatmeal eh ? My meatloaf recipes all start with my Mom's basic meatloaf recipe ; one pound pork to two pounds of whatever, a packet of dried onion soup mix, bread crumbs, two eggs, a healthy shot of ketchup mix it all up and if too dry a dash of beer if too moist a bit more bread crumbs. Shape it like a loaf of bread and place on lined cookie sheet, bake at 350 F for maybe an hour or nicely browned and check internal temp with meat thermometer 165 F or higher. Some people like to glaze them with a BBQ sauce but I like mine with the mashed taters and mushroom gravy.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Joe now you have me digging through the freezer to thaw some deer meat for a meat loaf feed! Comfort food I call it. Just like mac and cheese or sheherd's pie (my wife calls it "s#@t in a pot"). My recipe uses 100% deer meat and a full apple gets added to keep it moist. I might do your ground pork/deer mix this time to try it, as I usually do this when I make stuffed peppers or sausage.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Wow, you guys are quite the cooks. I'm lucky if I can make a good coffee.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longpointer View Post
    I was going to say "What , no bread crumbs ?" LoL ! Oatmeal eh ? My meatloaf recipes all start with my Mom's basic meatloaf recipe ; one pound pork to two pounds of whatever, a packet of dried onion soup mix, bread crumbs, two eggs, a healthy shot of ketchup mix it all up and if too dry a dash of beer if too moist a bit more bread crumbs. Shape it like a loaf of bread and place on lined cookie sheet, bake at 350 F for maybe an hour or nicely browned and check internal temp with meat thermometer 165 F or higher. Some people like to glaze them with a BBQ sauce but I like mine with the mashed taters and mushroom gravy.
    I forgot to mention I also used 2 eggs -

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Wow, you guys are quite the cooks. I'm lucky if I can make a good coffee.
    My dear wife passed away 27 years ago so if I want to eat good I had to learn how to cook - you tube is full of good recipes so anyone can make tasty meals - one thing I enjoy is dumplings - I make them out of stale bread - out of farina - left over mashed potatoes and farina - and grated potatoes - it is a lot of work and usually do more cooking in the winter time -

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Joe, your dumplings sound like what the Germans call knodel. Sounds good!
    If I'm making stew, I make a batch of biscuits and use about 1/3 of the biscuit dough for dumplings; just make walnut-sized balls and drop them on the stew, put the lid on and wait 30 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast