Thread: Coyote Questions.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Coyote Questions.

So I am right up against a township in central Ontario that does not allow any killing of wolves or coyotes. So as its a few miles west of me I have noted the increase in the coyote population.

I have some questions I hope the regular coyote hunters and deer hunters can answer.

For the regular deer camp folks.

Have any of you taken coyotes over gut piles in the deer season?

For the regular coyote hunters.

Would coyotes come to a bait pile of bass carcasses?

Do coyotes listen in for Ravens calling after they locate a gut pile and head to that pile?

Has anyone used a Raven call to get them in?

They might seem strange questions but they are logical to me LOL

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

After many decades of varmint/predator hunting, my own observations are that Coyotes, like Wolves, usually only eat their own fresh kills. I've never seen them at a gut pile. A pile of Bass carcasses will attract Bears and Skunks before any other species. We tried it once. All we got was the stench of rotting fish,no other animals went near it. I ended up digging a hole and burying it. Skunks dug it up and sprayed all over the place rendering the entire area useless for a month. It was gross. Lessons learned. I've never used Crow/Raven calls to call in Coyotes,but,I'm up for giving it a whirl. I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work if we could mimick the "grocks" and "puck-pucks" that Ravens emit while ripping apart food piles. They make some truly bizarre sounds that would be difficult to imitate. BTW,I read your Bear thread. Congratulations on the hunt. Let us know how dinner went.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

In Muskoka area, local trapper told me that he would set up snares around spots where he would dispose of carcasses on his trap line and would catch a few coyotes each winter. The spot where I dispose of my duck carcasses has coyotes visit (and raccoons and ravens and turkey vultures).
    Focus on integrity and eventually your name will be its own currency.
    Hunt L.E.S.S. Legally, Ethically, Safely, Sustainably.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    After many decades of varmint/predator hunting, my own observations are that Coyotes, like Wolves, usually only eat their own fresh kills. I've never seen them at a gut pile. A pile of Bass carcasses will attract Bears and Skunks before any other species. We tried it once. All we got was the stench of rotting fish,no other animals went near it. I ended up digging a hole and burying it. Skunks dug it up and sprayed all over the place rendering the entire area useless for a month. It was gross. Lessons learned. I've never used Crow/Raven calls to call in Coyotes,but,I'm up for giving it a whirl. I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work if we could mimick the "grocks" and "puck-pucks" that Ravens emit while ripping apart food piles. They make some truly bizarre sounds that would be difficult to imitate. BTW,I read your Bear thread. Congratulations on the hunt. Let us know how dinner went.
    Any gut pile on my farm gets cleaned up within 24hrs by the coyotes. They take any fish , duck, goose guts and carcasses no problem. Your field dressed deer guts are sometimes gone by dark if you shot the animal in the morning. I've trapped coyotes over bait with great success. Beaver carcasses are especially good. Jan-April is the best time, when food availability is low. Deer fawn or lamb in distress work well on my fox 40 (have two sheep farms beside me). Not sure about Corvid calls. Crows and Ravens has over 200 vocalizations so you could be sending the wrong message out unless you know the specific call that means " everybody come, I've found food". I would think a coyote pup in distress call would work at this time of the year.
    Last edited by Fenelon; July 3rd, 2024 at 08:22 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    So I am right up against a township in central Ontario that does not allow any killing of wolves or coyotes. So as its a few miles west of me I have noted the increase in the coyote population.

I have some questions I hope the regular coyote hunters and deer hunters can answer.

For the regular deer camp folks.

Have any of you taken coyotes over gut piles in the deer season?

For the regular coyote hunters.

Would coyotes come to a bait pile of bass carcasses?

Do coyotes listen in for Ravens calling after they locate a gut pile and head to that pile?

Has anyone used a Raven call to get them in?

They might seem strange questions but they are logical to me LOL
    The gut piles(deer and hogs)are untouched on the 4000 acre lease down South. Likely too much live prey avails. I imagine that will change as season changes and prey gets scarce.
    I have baited them on the lease with cheap dog food kibble.
    I have had them come in to woodpecker, rabbit, fawn, pup distress, gray and red fox distress, hog distress, crow calls and turkey calls.
    Just me but the birds always show up first to bait then the yotes so seems there may be connection. Usually the raptors, then crows then coyotes. I would think bass carcasses would work. Anything not nailed down will be quickly hauled off tho.