Thread: Pointer Field Trials in Ontario?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Pointer Field Trials in Ontario?

Hi

I was checking out the training events on CanuckDog and Dogshow.ca and I noticed there’s spaniel and retriever field trials but nothing listed for pointers.

I see pointer hunt tests but not trials.

Are there pointer trials in Ontario?

Thanks

Alex

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not anymore unfortunately. The OBDCA closed years ago due to a lack of participants. People from Ontario who want to trial pointers now go to Pennsylvania or some other State. Not much in the summer...

Pointing Breed Field Trials – American Kennel Club (akc.org)

\pointing dog breed trials - Search (bing.com)

Also consider NAVHDA

https://navhda.ca/
    Last edited by Sharon; July 7th, 2024 at 10:52 AM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hi

Thanks for the information. I was afraid of that.

I do like pointers and I’ve had pointers in the past, but from a club training perspective there’s just not as much support as one might find for example Retrievers.

Just in the Niagara region, I can count five different clubs.

Right now I could train with my Club seven days a week if I wanted to. And with Club, you get expertise, access to land and equipment.

I just found on the pointer side. There wasn’t the depth of training availability.

I love the NAVHDA testing but unless things have changed the Ontario NAVHDA clubs only trains once or twice a month.

I have been thinking of getting back to pointers But I do like hunt tests, field trials, and a fairly active Club.

My original request about a field trial was I’d love to see an English setter in action, but they are also not very common in Ontario.

I just think it’s tough in Ontario.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Too bad our paths didn't cross in the early 2000s I trialed 2 setters during those years.

Sharon's Album: My dogs (oodmag.com)

FYI That beautiful setter Shady Hills Billy was not my dog but the stud of my 2 setters.)
    Last edited by Sharon; July 8th, 2024 at 12:10 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Not sure if this would interest you, but their tests are are open to all pointing breeds:
    http://www.brittanyspanielclub.com/our-field-tests.html

There is also a Southern Ontario NSTRA Chapter (https://www.sonstra.ca/), holding most of their events at Ruffwood and Gold Creek.
    Last edited by ninepointer; July 8th, 2024 at 10:47 AM.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I forgot about NASTRA. That's a good idea. (Although one bad memory. I was a judge once and the bird flew up in front of us and the guy shot anyways!! Never hit the ground so fast in my life.)

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I forgot about NASTRA. That's a good idea. (Although one bad memory. I was a judge once and the bird flew up in front of us and the guy shot anyways!! Never hit the ground so fast in my life.)
    hope the dog passed and the handler sidelinded
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Absolutely.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Alex... The Finger Lakes Chapter of NAVHDA train almost weekly, and frequently twice a week. For you, they are 45 minutes down the thruway from Buffalo. Training sites , Darien Lake, Oakfield, Barker. The only negative thing is birds are about double the price there and in USA funds. Advantage, fuel is less- but you know that. The other issue will be the USA importation rules that come into effect August 1. You may also take advantage of the Empire Retriever group
    "Without Proper Management Wild Life Becomes Your Next Hood Ornament"