Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's going to trap this year ?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Sounds like about the only thing worth sending in this year may be beaver, as the felting market is taking them. I've got 46 to send to the February sale so far, as well as about 11 pounds of castoreum (but sad to see that the price on this has even slumped) . I haven't set for rats (won't even sell) , coon/fisher, or even set a land trap this fall. Lots of coyote around but not worth the effort for $8 to 10 , before auction fees, tumbling charge, shipping fee, and royalty charge. Big time in the red when you factor in your gas, vehicle insurance and maintenance. It's a pastime now, no longer an endeavor that used to be a primary and/or secondary source of income for a lot of folks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

https://furharvesters.com/pdf/marketforecast2024.pdf
    Market forecast for 2024, from North Bay Fur Auction

https://furharvesters.com/results/2023/May/may23can.pdf
    Last sale from North Bay

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I'm midway through my trapping course. Looking forward to getting the license and learning a few more outdoor skills.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

From the report,it looks like Coyote pelts will be in the tank again this year. Shoot 'em and drag 'em.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

IMO PETA doesn’t have to work on banning trapping as interest is dropping.

Trapping is a lot of work and there’s not a lot of young folks that want to do it seriously for the meh returns.

Setting and maintaining a dozen traps is pretty easy but running a registered trap line is a big commitment. I just don’t see the work ethic in our youth these days.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12