This chunky dunk is a cross between Italian antipasto and Mexican salsa, and it’s a thrifty way to use up a bit of leftover cooked fish. But, it’s also good enough to poach a couple of pieces of fish especially for that purpose. Bass, whitefish, and walleye are my picks for this dish, but red-fleshed fish can also be used.
Measurements are approximate, so no need to hunt down a measuring cup.
Put the following ingredients into a bowl:
- 1 to 2 cups cooked fish, broken into chunks
- diced celery
- chopped onion
- chopped sweet peppers
- minced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- black olives and stuffed green olives, sliced
- couple of cloves of minced garlic
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- squirt of lemon or lime juice
- couple of tablespoons virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper, ground cumin, and coriander to taste
Mix the ingredients well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving. Serve with crusty bread or corn chips.