Here’s a tasty and simple way to prepare whitefish fresh from the ice. Feel free to make your own pesto, for an added touch. This recipe pairs well with a sauvignon blanc wine.
- 2 boneless skinless fillets of whitefish
- 4-tbsp basil pesto
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat oven to 400 ̊F.
2. Brush a thick layer of pesto onto one side of the whitefish fillets.
3. Top with grated Parmesan.
4. Coat a non-stick, oven-safe dish with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
5. Place the fish on the dish with the coated side facing up and bake for 10 minutes.
6. In a small frying pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil.
7. Sauté diced red pepper for 3-4 minutes on high heat, tossing frequently. Keep warm.
8. Swipe some pesto across a serving plate using a brush or the back of a spoon.
9. Place your baked fish on top and garnish with sautéed red pepper.
Andrew Rochon is OOD’s food editor. You can follow more of his culinary adventures on Instagram: @wilderness_chef
Originally published in the Jan.-Feb. 2021 edition of Ontario OUT of DOORS magazine.